Thursday, July 23, 2009

Bed rest

I'm sure many of you have heard about my latest excitement. The good news is I am home. I'll back up a bit to fill you in on the rest. On Sunday, I was in the middle of teaching sunday school, and something didn't seem right. I started bleeding, and immediately started to have contractions. Mom and dad drove me straight to Thompson, where they set me up in a room to watch. The contractions continued, but the bleeding seemed to slow down. I was about 1 cent. dilated though. However, after about 5 hours, the bleeding came back with a vengence. So Dr. Page thought it was best that I go to Strong to be monitored, just in case the baby decided to come. So they loaded me up in the ambulance and off I went to Strong. I have to say my first ride in an ambulance was pretty exciting. I had the sirens and horns and whole nine yards. Once at Strong, the contractions continued, as did the bleeding. Around midnight, the doctor decided she needed to check me to see what was going on, and told me I was now 4 cent. and she thought she saw something coming out...like a foot, or membranes, something. Needless to say, were scared to death, because it looked like they were going to deliver the baby that night. She got her supervisors, and they took a look, and determined it wasn't a foot, but I was dilating, and something more had to be done. So they put me on a heavy dose of drugs to stop the contractions. It was a 48 hour course of medication, so I had to stay in the hospital the entire time. Finally, the contractions started to slow, as did the bleeding. So...after 4 days of being watched, I was sent home on bed rest for the remainder of the pregnancy. They said if I started to bleed again, I would be back in the hospital until the baby is born. So..here I am, on the couch, watching spongebob with the kids. Thank you so everyone who has said prayers and offered to help out. We really appreciate all your support. Things are ok now. I haven't had any problems since being home. The reason for all of this is because I have marginal placenta previa, which means the placenta is very close to the cervix and can start bleeding at any time. When that happens, contractions start, and a vicious cycle begins. So we are being careful and staying put. Hopefully this little peanut will stay put for a while longer. The good news is that he/she was not stressed out at all throughout the whole thing. All of the nurses were so amazed at what a great baby it is. And it's looking to be a big baby too. Already 2 1/2 lbs. Hopefully I won't go to 40 weeks, or we might have a 10 pounder on our hands. I'll keep you posted in the coming weeks! Thanks for all your well wishes.

No comments: